This award is given each year to a cancer survivor. The Classic Hero Award of Courage recognizes the deep courage and personal commitment necessary to fight cancer. This award honors individuals in our community who have survived cancer and are an advocate for education, awareness, and treatment of the disease.
- Johnny Rutherford – Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner
- Roy Charles Brooks – Tarrant County Commissioner
- Dr. Wayne Hey, DO – Urology Specialist
- TD Smyers – President/CEO, United Way of Tarrant County.
- Pat Conner – Classic Car Hobbyist and Builder
The Classic Hero Award of Gratitude is given each year to a health care professional who has demonstrated passion for the care and treatment of cancer patients that goes above and beyond what is expected. This is our way of saying “thank you” to those who have dedicated their lives to helping screen, care, and cure cancer.
- Gayle G. Wilkins, MSN, RN, OCN, – Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth, Prostate Cancer Resource Center
- Andras G. Lacko, PhD, – Professor of Molecular Biology & Immunology, UNT Health Science Center, Fort Worth
- Claus Roehrborn, MD, – Chairman, Urology Department, UT Southwestern Medical Center
- Karen Albritton, MD, – Medical Director, FWAYA Oncology Coalition, Fort Worth
- Kevin Courtney, MD, PhD, – Assistant Professor, Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern Medical Center.
- F.H. (Trey) Moore, III, MD, – Urologist, Medical Advisor for North Texas Prostate Cancer Coalition
MONCRIEF CANCER INSTITUTE
Moncrief Cancer Institute provides Fort Worth with the foremost cancer prevention, research, and survivor services to reduce the threat and impact of cancer. UT Southwestern’s Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center is now open at the Moncrief Cancer Institute. Patients have access to world-class treatment and clinical trials closer to home from the only National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center in North Texas. Through the generosity of the Moncrief family, the institute has been working collaboratively with area physicians, agencies, and hospitals since 1958.